Last updated: August 9, 2014
Are you the who you want to be?
Is your who what others see?
The first time I considered the concept of personal brand was when I was a newly-minted MBA working as the Advertising Manager for an international specialty metals manufacturer. I don’t remember the context of the phone call I received from a woman one morning but my direct and honest response to her request elicited the following feedback – “You have real integrity. Don’t ever lose that. It is something rare.” This has become part of my personal brand and I work hard to maintain that aspect of my reputation.
Have you thought about what it means to be you? What is your authentic self and how does that translate into your personal brand in the eyes of others? Certainly how we dress and speak is part of it but it extends to so much more, especially in the virtual environment. These are considerations that are important whether you are working for someone, job-seeking, or running your own business. Personal brand is a work in process and will evolve as you gain more experience and your goals change. In a competitive environment having a clear sense of your personal brand and that it matches your goals may increase your confidence in yourself and the confidence of others in what you have to offer.
I will be live-tweeting and blogging at the Discover Your Personal Brand Conference on Saturday August 16 from 9 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. at the OISE Building, University of Toronto, 252 Bloor St. West. A panel of industry experts will share their experience on personal branding to help you define and enhance your authentic personal brand. The conference is being presented by Bobby Umar, 4x TEDx Speaker on Leadership & Development. Register today at my affiliate link above!
Here is the speaker lineup:
● Bobby Umar,4x TEDx Speaker on Leadership & Development, Raeallan
● Alfredo Tan, Group Director of Marketing Solutions, Facebook Canada
● Nathan Downer, Reporter/ Anchor, CP24
● Darrell Keezer, CEO, Candybox Marketing
● Marina Piccioni, Marketing Manager, Hudson’s Bay Company
● Fahad Meer, Senior Associate at PricewaterhouseCoopers
● Nicholas Kusmich, Strategic Consultant for Lifestyle Entrepreneurs, Everyday Prosperity Inc .
● Corey Herscu, Technology Publicist | Journalist TV Personality, HerscuPR
● Ryan Coelho, Personal Development Specialist, RyanCoelho.com
● Katia Millar, Founder & Chief Inspiration Officer, Positive Fabulous Women
● Don Sagarese, Founder, On The Move catering
● Jahmeelah Gamble, TV Personality, Rogers
● Mahfuz Chowdhury, Digital Marketer, Candybox Marketing
● Hamoon Ekhtiari, Director, StudioY at MaRS, and Social Media Coach & Strategic Consultant, Socially Good
● Tamika Auwai, Power Presence Expert, Tamika Auwai
● Julia Sheldon, – Operations Manager, The Acoustic Opera
● Cher Jones, Corporate Social Media Trainer, Socially Active
● Joseph Luk, Director, Solution Marketing Department, Huawei
● Ada Barlatt, Management Sciences Professor, University of Waterloo Engineering
The event will be followed by a career fair.
Follow the event with hashtag #DYPB14 . See you there!